- Parent Category: Our School
- Published on Monday, 12 October 2009 22:53
At Oak Grove we approach teaching, learning, and living as an art form - The Art of Living and Learning. Our experienced elementary faculty creates a safe, supportive, non-competitive environment within which students can actively wonder, reflect, explore ideas, develop skills, and grow intellectually, socially and emotionally. We do this by:
- Striving to build a strong academic foundation that retains a child’s natural love of learning. Curriculum is designed to integrate California State Standards along with Oak Grove’s own unique framework of learning expectations expressed in The Art of Living & Learning.
- Recognizing the individuality of each and every student and offering rich, engaging, multi-levelled projects and assignments that speak to developmental readiness, personal interest, and creativity.
- Working, collaborating, investigating, and having fun together.
- Developing strong partnerships with parents so that students receive consistent support from both home and school.
- Empowering students with self-responsibility and ownership of their own learning, we ensure they have the skills they need to succeed in education and in life.
Elementary – Group C (1st/2nd) through 6th Grade: In classes averaging 12 to 16 students, a developmentally appropriate academic curriculum is offered which integrates California State Standards with Oak Grove’s unique framework of learning expectations expressed in The Art of Living & Learning. Students apply problem solving approaches and inquiry based learning to all core subject areas (math, language arts, social studies, science) which is taught by the homeroom teacher. Subjects are integrated and academics are differentiated to teach to the individual child’s developmental level. Core academics are balanced with an array of specialist classes in Spanish, art, music, drama, horticulture, computer/library skills, and physical education. Students also learn experientially through our Outdoor Education Program and opportunities for field trips and community service. Students are encouraged to develop intrinsic engagement, be independent learners, and develop focus while learning.
Unique to Oak Grove’s program is a particular emphasis on the art of relationship and caring – for oneself, others, local & global communities and the environment. Elementary students are active in creating a safe environment for learning and interacting. This is supported by community circles, student-created classroom rules, respectful communication and teacher-supervised recess times. Care is also promoted through a strong emphasis on community service and environmental awareness.
Academic, social, and emotional needs are closely monitored by the homeroom teacher. Mid-term parent-teacher conferences and comprehensive semiannual narrative evaluations ensure that parents are given a complete and accurate picture of the elementary student's academic, social and emotional development.